Friday, September 7, 2012

Living on an Island


Living on an Island 120907

Living on Amelia Island means that I am, well, living on an island. I've always considered that the restricted boundaries of an island would quickly lead to boredom and cabin fever. I've never been in prison, but I have been on cruises. Although the two are not comparable in terms of the activities, food and treatment, for both there is a severe limitation on how far you can move. On cruises one day at sea is about all I can stand before I want to be on land and see something new.

I was concerned that a small island would give me the same feeling ... TRAPPED.

This morning I was watching a lady from a nearby condo. I had talked with her earlier in the week and knew that she and her husband were here for a week or so. I could see she was getting bored today. She stood on the walkway to the beach and just stared at the sand and sea oats for 30 minutes. Her mind was a million miles away while her body was experiencing a blue-sky, not too hot, gorgeous day right on the beach. Cabin fever? Maybe so.

So, why was I not experiencing the same thing? I live here and spend a lot of time here with occasional trips away. So, here are my categorized thoughts as to why I seem to like it so much and am not at all bored:
  1. Find something to do with a purpose - This blog, as simple and unimportant as it is, gives me a purpose. I don't have to work for a living any more (or not much). I'm not a volunteering type. But, exploring has always been fun for me. So, now I am exploring Amelia Island. The internet helps so much with this that the things I find here take me to unexpected places. If you have read previous blog posts these are things like Morocco, lighthouse passports and armadillos. I have a few other interests that are completely unrelated to Amelia Island, but can be done anywhere.
     
  2. Share what you do - I am lucky to have RS. She has always had a good eye for seeing things I don't see and capturing them in photos. Over the years I have learned to see things a bit more her way, but she still surprises me. Her photos adorn this blog. Mostly, I take photos of hers and add them to the blog. Occasionally, she will want to replace one or remove one because she doesn't like the quality or it doesn't represent what she wants to show, but mostly, you get to see what she sees. The mundane ones like signs and maintenance sheds she takes at my request, but the others are her eyes. Putting her photos on the blog makes it our blog.
     
  3. Open up to new things - I haven't worn shorts in decades. I haven't worn sandals in decades. I haven't fished in decades. I haven't ridden a bicycle in decades. The list goes on and on. I am trying new things and rediscovering things I have not done in a long time. An open mind helps a lot combined with a little bit of willingness to try new things.
So, now the days pass so quickly. There is no boredom. In fact it's becoming just the opposite. I have to go to Washington next week. Too bad for me. It's a lot more fun here even though I will see some nice sights, mix with lots of different people and enjoy a wider range of food in Washington. There I can't hear the surf, see the stars or watch the lovebugs.

-CR
Photos by RS

No comments:

Post a Comment